We recommend that your machine be serviced each year and that only filtered, softened water be used in most machines. Please note that drinking water filters are rarely adequate for espresso machines.
How to take of my espresso machine?
- Maintaining your machine is easy! Flush the group before and after use.
- Flush the steam wand before (to remove water condensate) and after (to ensure the holes do not clog).
- Stainless steel can be cleaned with microfibre cloths and a little steam or a mild detergent.
- Learn how to backflush your machine and make sure you do it! It’s essential for the health of your machine and for the quality of the coffee (only for machines with 3 way valves).
- Run a water backflush each day.
- If you have a heat exchanger (HX) or dual boiler machine, use the hot water from your machine each day. Heat a cup or make a cup of tea. Many users never use the hot water. This can lead to significant scale deposition even in areas where the local water is quite soft.
- At the end of the week, run a water backflush, followed by a chemical backflush (1/4-1/3 teaspoon backflush powder such as Urnex Cafiza) and then a further water backflush. Watch the colour of the suds exiting from the 3 way valve when using chemicals. When they are clean, the chemical phase can be stopped.
- Replacement of group seal/gasket and shower screen as required. In most cases, 12 months is a reasonable interval to do this. It’s an easy and quick job.
- Be vigilant for any any unusual behaviour of your machine and arrange for service if you observe anything unusual.
- Avoid descaling by using water suitable for espresso machines. For most single boiler home machines descaling is simple and can be done using Urnex Dezcal.Descaling is a specialist job and is best avoided where possible in heat exchanger and dual boiler machines.
How to take of my coffee bean grinder?
Grinders require regular cleaning to operate correctly. Ideally this involves removal of the burrs and a thorough clean. This can be done at the time of a machine service. At home, keep the grinder hopper clean with a wash in warm water and dishwashing detergent every few weeks. Never put a grinder hopper in a dishwasher unless you want to purchase a new one! Urnex Grindz tablets can be used for grinder cleaning every 3 to 4 months. Rice of any description is not for grinder cleaning. Ever!