CYAG: Espresso Machines
CYAG stands for Clean As You Go, and for espresso machines this is a must. By doing simple and quick cleaning steps each time you use the machine you can
- Increase the longevity of your machine
- Ensure each cup tastes its freshest
- Reduce overall scheduled cleaning times
Brewing an Espresso Shot
After pulling a great espresso shot, it is a good idea to do the following:
- Remove your portafilter handle and discard of grinds immediately. This will stop the coffee pucks from hardening making them easier to remove. In addition, your used coffee will not dry and harden into your shower screen.
- With the handle removed flush water through the grouphead by running the pump for one to two seconds. You will see the water first start off browned and eventually turn clear. This further helps prevent old coffee from sticking into your shower screen.
- Rinse out the portafilter handle. This helps prevent old coffee grounds and oils from clogging the fine hole found in your portafilter handle baskets.